Common Household Items That Can Cause Injury

Common Household Items That Can Cause Injury

Beware of Lethal Dangers Lurking in Your Home

A woman in South Jordan, Utah, was recently poisoned when she ordered sweet tea at a restaurant. While making the tea, a restaurant employee accidentally used deep fryer cleaner instead of the sweetener that had similar packaging.

All too often we hear about someone who has accidentally poisoned themselves or someone else with a dangerous household chemical. While threats from lead-based paint and asbestos are well Dangerous Chemicals in Homepublicized, many other silent dangers are present in nearly every home and business in the United States. The good news: some companies and government entities are teaming up to limit the use of these dangerous chemicals in consumer products and are trying to get them off our shelves and out of our homes.

Keep Your Home Safe:

Save the Poison Control Center hotline number on your phone: 1-800-222-1222. There are 55 poison control centers across the country to answer questions about any product.


Children and young adults under 20 are nearly twice as likely to be exposed to toxic chemicals. Always store hazardous chemicals out of the reach and locked away.  [Download report.]


Approximately 84,000 chemicals have been registered for use in the United States since 1976. The EPA only required testing for about 250, and only five have been banned.


Learn How to Store Your Dangerous Chemicals Safely

Fire Chief Joe Bruni explains how and where to store hazardous chemicals to keep them out of the reach of pets and children. View video.

Dishwashing Pods Deadly to Children

Newsey takes an in-depth look at how children are at risk of deadly exposure to liquid detergent pods liquid detergent pods, View video.

Utah Woman Poisoned by Deep Fryer Cleaner

See the tragic story of a Utah woman poisoned at a barbeque restaurant by sweet tea contaminated with highly toxic deep fryer cleaner. View Video.

Peter Summerill

Comments are closed.